Event: Christian Kerez, Architect Lecture. Friday, November
9, 2012
Christian Kerez, an architect and professor from Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. In his architect lecture, he talks
about the schoolhouse design in Leutschenbach in Switzerland. This school has a
very unique design. It has many floors and the most interesting thing here to
me, and to many others, because it is a highlight to the design, is the that
the gym is in the sixth floor. The gym being on the highest level lets the
students get a very good view of the city and I’m sure it is very breath taking
to be there and look down. This part really reminds me of De Young Museum tower
because it was so high and for a tower, there was a lot of space. I went up
only once but it was sure a very spacious and the view of San Francisco was
amazing and beautiful. I felt really relaxed and free when I was there in such
a high elevation. I really like to feel so high up which is why I like heights
and I really like Kerez’s idea of having the gym be so high and just having the
whole building have so many windows to look out of. He commented on how he
wanted students to feel like they have a lot of space which is why the halls
and staircases are very wide, which I believe is a great design. I remember my
elementary school had wide staircases and I felt safer than when I was in high
school where the staircases were very narrow. Maybe because I was a lot smaller
in size when I was in elementary school, but in high school, I felt so cramped
and I hated walking up the narrow stairs because there were so many people and
everyone always bumped into each other. Thus, having a wide staircase and halls
is a really convenient and thoughtful design. Overall, I really like the idea
to this design especially that the gym is high up so it gives students and
people the opportunity to sightsee and feel like there is a lot of room to
breathe.
Here are images showing the resemblance of De Young Tower
compared to the schoolhouse
![]() |
| De Young Museum Tower interior. The big glass walls allow people to see the outside which is similar to the school house gym and the building in general |
![]() |
| Schoolhouse in Leutschenbach, Switzerland |
![]() |
| De Young Museum Tower, San Francisco, CA |



No comments:
Post a Comment