Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Design10 Week 2 Blog


Week 2 Blog
I go to my bedroom every day and even when I have a very small amount of belongings, I believe I can still find both visible and invisible designs because design is everywhere and on all objects and things. One visible design I have in my room is my Winnie the Pooh mug that I drink out of. I would consider this a visible design because of its Winnie the Pooh print that surrounds the outside of the mug. I bought this mug from a Christmas collection. This collection was meant to make this mug be used during the holidays for hot chocolate because the print has characters engaged in Christmas activities and have Christmas colors. Also, when I first bought the whole set, the set had hot chocolate packets and another identical mug. This print and the collection as a whole is the visible design. This is so because visible design is when the intention is to give attention to the object. This print draws attention that this mug is for Winnie the Pooh fans and gives an image of comfort and joyfulness during the holidays. It also reflects Christmas traditions of the excitement of opening presents, and also that the colors green and red are associated with this holiday. 

Another visible design in my room is my reusable shopping bag. Most of these shopping bags today have a small pocket located in the upper center of the inside of the bag. When the shopping bag is in use, this pocket can be a place to put one’s wallet or tiny sized items. This pocket is there so that these small items can be easily accessible. When the bag is not in use, this small pocket serves as a little bag to hold the shopping bag so the shopping bag is compressed and more convenient to carry. There is also a clip attached to the pocket so that when the shopping bag is compressed, it can be hung or attached to something else, such as a hook on your kitchen wall or on the outside of a student’s backpack. This is a visible design because people often buy this type of shopping bag with the design of compressing the bag from itself. This design of a method of compaction and the option to hang and attach the bag to something gives attention to the bag itself. The bag isn't just any bag anymore and it isn't just something to put your groceries and books in anymore, it also has a brilliant and creative way to carry it around.
An invisible design in my room and on my desk is my lamp. My lamp has a built in pencil and office supply holder on the bottom end. This is an invisible design because the holder is to give attention to the easy accessibility of writing utensils and office supplies or the holder gives attention of office supplies so that they can be ready to use. When people see the lamp and the holder, they probably will think of pencils, pens, highlighters, sticky notes, staples, etc. rather than thinking about the holder itself. It is also invisible design because the holder is made to serve a certain function and make life easier, that is, by making things that we do use more reachable so we can save time when finding them.

Furthermore, I must give credit to my clothes’ hangers that I use every day for its design helps me in more than one way. First, by twisting the head in a half circle, it makes removing clothes from and hanging clothes on the bar of my closet very easy. Because the twist of my hangers is not less half a circle, my hangers will not fall off the bar, and because the twist is not more than a circle, my hangers will not be hard to remove from the bars. Another feature of my hangers is the ting hookers attached to the inside of my hangers. This allows me to hang clothes that are more prone to slipping out or clothes that are too big for the hanger to hold. In addition, my hangers have a bottom stick attached so that it can hang bottoms as well as tops. All I need to do is fold that bottoms and place them on the stick, making the center of the bottom on the stick. This is an invisible design because people use hangers so commonly that they do not need instructions to be able to use hangers properly. Even though the hanger serves so many functions, it is still so simple to use and it is obvious on how to use it. When I use my inexpensive and plain hangers, I do not think about my hangers; I think about my clothes on them. These hangers serve the function to organize my clothes and make my clothes visible so I can easily pick which garment to wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment